Beach Holidays in Italy
Everyone has their own version of idyllic beach holidays in Italy. With over 5,300 miles of shoreline bordering Italy and its islands, you can take your pick from pebble cove hideaways to glorious sand beaches to castaway islands – and everything in between.
Italy has some of the most picturesque and dramatic coastlines in the world. Although it competes with many other European beach destinations, there’s no where else that can rival the complete experience you’ll find in Italy.
- Did you know that Italy has two Rivieras in Liguria.
- Sardinia is surely one of the world’s most idyllic beach holidays, where sugar-soft sands dip into emerald and aquamarine waters.
- To the west of Genoa are well known resorts such as Alassio and San Remo where brightly coloured parasols and sun beds are standard.
- To the east, you’ll find the very chic Portofino and the Cinque Terre, five villages clinging spectacularly to the mountainside.
- Puglia in the ‘heel’ of Italy offers diverse beach holidays in Italy with its long, spectacular coastline including, at its ‘spur’, the Gargano Peninsula.
- The lesser-know Basilicata region is rugged, unspoiled and a contender for one of the country’s most beautiful coastal areas around Maratea
- For castaway islands, the tiny Pontine Islands just off Lazio are a celebrity hideaway.
Tuscany Beach Holidays
Tuscany boasts some of the most popular beaches in Italy.
- For big and social beaches, try Forte dei Marmi and Viareggio.
- South of Pisa, the dramatic outcrop of the Argentario Penisula is the site of Porto Santo Stefano, and small, but very chic Porto Ercole.
Amalfi Beach Holidays
The Amalfi coastline is one of Italy’s most picturesque and dramatic but the beaches here are small. Although not the best location for beach holidays in Italy, this famous coastline is one of the most beautiful in the world.
- The largest stretch of sand is at Positano.
- Nearby Sorrento enjoys spectacular views, sun bed-packed jetties and easy access to legendary rocky Capri.
- Head to Capri’s big sister island, Ischia, where beaches are long and soft and thermal springs are a delight – even in winter.
Sicily Beach Holidays
Being the largest Mediterranean island, Sicily has a long and diverse coastline where you can access anything from dramatic rocky coves to the idyllic sandy beaches in the north. Be sure to check out these locations for the best beach holidays in Sicily:
- The necklace of archipelagos: the volcanic Aeolian Isles, the Egadi and the black island of Ustica and Pantelleria.
- The beaches of Taormina. The Isola Bella is without doubt Taormina’s most beautiful beach.
- The fascinating UNESCO beach, called Scala dei Turchi found close to Agrigento – Valley of the Temples.